Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Redneck Princess with a Twist

So I figured my first post should be about, well ME! Give y'all a little insight about who I am and what I do.
I will start off with I am in my mid and I'm stretching on the mid 20's. I grew up in a small town in Oregon population approx 6-7 thousand, and as much as I hated it growing up I love it now. I left my hometown about a week after my 18th birthday and headed for Montana. I was born there but left when I was still a baby so I thought it was time to go back and check it out. I LOVED it there but after a few months grew home sick and headed back home. Or at least that was the plan. I stopped in Portland on my way back to see some girlfriends of mine whom I had grown up with and were going to school up there now. Needless to say I never made it back home,

For the majority of about 7 years after high school i stayed in the Portland metro area. Let me tell you at first it was a complete culture shock. I grew up in a at the time 2 stop light town, now there is a whopping 3!!!! I had never heard of Coach, Louis Vuitton, Chanel, or any big named designer really. I was used to getting from one end of town to the other in a matter of minutes not hours. We didn't have 24 hour anything, the town shut down at dark basically. People went downtown, to clubs, concerts and events for fun on their weekends. My group of friends and I hung out in the local grocery parking lot on Friday and Saturday nights for fun. I know it doesn't sound fun but some of my best memories of my friends happened in that parking lot. there were times that we would get kicked out of a certain stores lot and wed just move across the street for the night! Now we didn't always stay in the parking lot, it was more or less a meeting spot since it was smack in the middle of town, if you were bored all you had to do was drive by and there would always be someone there and it would just grow from there. We would head to someones house, out to the dunes, or up into the hills and just have a good time.

Growing up in a small town I hated it or at least I thought I did but looking back I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. When I left home I had the "I hate this town, there's nothing here for me" mentality. I do wish I wouldn't have gotten so home sick though because I absolutely loved Montana. In the 7 years I was in the Portland area I went to school three times, business admin, medical assisting degree and then beauty school. It was at school for medical assisting I was dubbed "the redneck princess" and a few times they even called me an "over achieving redneck princess" I studied A LOT and wasn't happy unless I made good grades. I graduated with a 3.89 GPA, I hate to admit but I was disappointed it wasn't a 4.0.  The girls I socialized with at school were all except for 1 who was a lot like me were all pretty city. They thought it was hilarious when they found out what I was really like because they all had pre conceived notions about me and not one of them was even remotely close to who I really was. I still remember the day i was given my nick name. We were in phlebotomy class I had just walked in donning my newest "baby" my very first Coach bag! The girls all thought it was hilarious that I loved fishing and rodeos and couldn't wait to go home on weekends and ride yet here i was decked out in scrubs, my hair and makeup done, wearing a John Deere sweatshirt and carrying a Coach bag and that's when one of them go your like a redneck princess or something. The name stuck after that.

Now I should probably back track a smidge. I started Medical Assisting school right before my daughters 1st birthday. Yepp that's right I have a daughter who is 6. She is my pride and joy and a spitting image of me just with red hair. Personality to boot. She's just like her mama. She loves to fish, go shooting ( she has her own .22 single shot rifle), camping and I think is slightly more obsessed with horses then I am. I suppose though her insane addiction to horses is my fault. During a day down on the waterfront in Portland during the Rose Festival she saw pony rides and wanted to have one, well one turned into two and that quickly became like five if I remember correctly. I came up with this crazy notion to get her into riding lessons after that since she liked it so much. She was 2.5 yrs old when we started this venture and were still going. I'm thinking and secretly hoping this will be a life long interest of hers!

Now fast forward. I am living about 25 miles south of where I grew up, in an even smaller town and I love it. I have my moments where I miss the city but realize I'm happier to visit it then to live in it. If I want to fish I'm just minutes away from the ocean and the river, same goes with camping and four wheeling its just minutes to the mountains or dunes. I am in my element and this is where I will stay. People tend to joke from time to time that I'm a little bit of a city girl now but I tell em I'm country with a twist! I have an obsession with shoes, boots and flip flops mainly, purses, perfume, anything in mossy oak and real tree camo, and John Deere. The newest thing to jump up on my roster of things that make me happy is make-up. Ive always worn make-up and had bunches of it around but it was never really an obsession until now. I am an ETSY junkie! I am always on ETSY looking for fun new things or things to inspire me.

So now to why I started this blog. I have another blog that I haven't really kept all that up to date and decided I wanted to take a slightly different direction and for me I do better when I start from scratch. My daughters dad will even back me up on that one. He always thought it was funny when Id cook from a box because even with detailed instructions clearly marked on it I can sure mess it up but make a meal from scratch and its amazing!  So back to my ETSY addiction which is a big part of my inspiration for the new blog. I happened to stumble upon the eyeshadow world there a few weeks ago completely by accident and I cant seem to get enough of it! I ordered 10 new shadows from this awesomely cool company on there called Concrete Minerals and they should be here any day! As soon as they arrive you can bet there is going to be a post about it. I'm going to be doing alot of review posts on my awesome finds, as well as posts about whats going on in my life in general, crafts I'm doing or have done, even toying with the idea of a theme for Mondays, Manicure Monday. Id have a new manicure to post every Monday for you to see and possibly a polish review to go with it since I'm always on the hunt for awesome new polishes!


This is a copy of the 1st post I did on my very first blog. I had a generalized idea of where I was heading with it but then at the same time I didn't.
** I decided that 2011 was going to be MY year, the year I really put myself out there!! I feel like it's time to broaden my horizons and do things I wouldn't normally do, because they fell outside of my comfort zone. Life is to dang short and if this 2012 end of the world hype really is true then Im going to live 2011 like there really is no tomorrow. I've got tons of ideas and things I want to do and accomplish this year and I am starting them with this blog.

I never thought I would want to start a blog but in the few weeks I have had this uber creative streak in me that I would like to think its been inspired by the holidays and because of 2 people who mean a whole heck of alot to me, my daughter Keelie and my cousin Alyssa. Keelie is my 6yr old ray of sunshine. That girls can light up a room like no one I know. She's always got someone laughing with the things she says. I like to think she's a little version of me with her own twists. She loves to paint and draw, I almost think she's better at it then I am. Her imagination is unbelievable, she can keep herself entertained for hours playing with her barbies and horses sending them on adventure after adventure or wearing one of the many different dresses or tutus she has pretending shes a princess and since her favorite color (right now) is purple that's where half of my blog title Purple Tutus comes from. Now for my cousin, that girl was truly something special! For those of you who don't know me and even those that do but are new to my life, Alyssa passed away a year ago this month. She has been on my mind constantly the last few weeks and I think thats a big part of the flame thats been lit under me. You could travel the world and go on one crazy adventure after another without ever leaving where you were with Alyssa. She had the wildest imagination. Alyssa also had quite a thing for Regis, Jay leno, and Pink Flamingos the inspiration for the other half of my blogs title. **

If you want to check that blog out just click here.

I could go on and on and on but I won't bore you to death, at least not yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment