Monday, October 1, 2012

Opening Weekend Deer Season 2012

Well this past weekend was the opener of my deer season this year! I have been looking forward to this since I took my buck opening morning last year but seriously counting down the days 3 months prior to the start of the season.  I was hoping the closer opening day got the colder the weather would get, but that didn't happen. It has been unseasonably warm around here. Usually by now we have gotten some rain and the temps are about 10 degrees cooler then they have been. Someone mentioned today were on day 80 something of no rain. Come on this is the Pacific NW we are known for our rain! With the way the weather conditions were I knew that the hunt was going to be challenging but that wasn't stopping me! I did as I do every year, rolled out of bed at 3 a.m. and got ready to go!!! I picked up one of my girl friends who despite not having a tag wanted to tag along any ways and we headed for the hills! I might also throw out there that because of the way the weather has been it has closed down a TON of the land around here to hunt on. The only thing open for hunting at this point is US Forest land and BLM land. When we arrived to the area I wanted to hunt it was about 4:45 in the morning and we still had 2 hours till sun up, around here if you aren't staking out your spot hours before the sun comes up someone else will beat you to it. The land I really wanted to hunt was already staked out (by a friend of mine none the less) so I headed for my 2nd choice. When the sun started to make an apperance I started my trek in and thats when the coyotes started howling. We covered 8 miles on foot and never even saw signs of deer. I found elk droppings, tracks and even a carcass from bow season a few weeks ago, and tracks and droppings from the coyotes I'd heard at sun up but not one single sign of a deer having been any where in the area. Despite not finding a deer it was still a great morning, I was in one of my favorite places, the middle of no where, listening to the crickets, birds, frogs and coyotes and even stumbled across some old barns!!! 



I really hope that the weather changes soon but looking at the next 10 days in the forecast I see zero sign of rain :( If the rain keeps holding off guess I will just have to wait for the rut when they start acting like retards and my chances get better!!!! Luckily I have until November 2nd to fill my tag and I will be hiking miles in and out of units, up and down the steep terrain every weekend between now and then! 

Happy hunting!!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment